Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Lately...

Wow time really flies when you have so many projects going on.  It has been a very busy week, my cat Potter and I have been fighting off a cold, I finished my husband Matt's quilt, and the color brick quilt along has officially started. 

My husbands quilt is only the second one that I have quilted myself.  I normally take my quilts to a cute little shop in Lebanon to be quilted.  Since I recently got a walking foot for my sewing machine I thought I should give it a try.  The first one I did was a large crib quilt for my brother's friend who just had a baby boy.  Matt's quilt is a size up (60"x60") but I felt like I could handle it.  I'm only doing straight line quilting but both have turned out pretty great. 

As well as quilting for myself I also tried spray basting for the first time, and let me just say it was SO much easier.  I will never go back to pinning ever again.  Not once did the layers shift (even when my cats decide to wrestle on it).
I read that painters tape helps keep your lines straight when you
 are new to quilting.



I decided to do diamonds since the whole quilt is squares.  And Matt wanted black thread so that it would stand out.  I wasn't sure how it would look, but I really like it and so does Matt

 After I finished quilting it I had to get myself excited to do the binding, which is my least favorite part of the quilt process.  Normally I take it to my Mom and have her sew the binding on.  (Thanks Mom, Love you!)  But I really wanted to finish this 100% on my own.  So I went out and bought a new movie!

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST!!!  I'm not sure if I've mentioned it yet but I am a huge Disney fan.  Some might say I'm obsessed but I think I'm just a kid at heart.  Also I can't work on a quilt unless there is a movie or a show on for me to listen to.  I have quite a collection.
In alphabetical order.  I'm OCD about my movies.
Once I had a new movie to watch I was ready to get started on the binding.  I have decided that the reason I don't like to do the binding is because I'm not a big fan of hand stitching, so I used one of the "fancy" stitches on my machine to sew it on.
Got the binding on,

fresh out of the dryer,

Potter approved.



No comments:

Post a Comment